The 1960s brings images of cultural revolution, peace symbols, flower power, beach culture, short skirts, flares and lots of hair! Music included Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Dusty Springfield and the Beach Boys. Girls looked like Twiggy or Lulu. There are just so many 60s icons to choose from.
It was also the time of the Vietnam War protests, assassination of JF Kennedy, the introduction of the contraceptive pill and women's rights, Freedom rides in America and Australia, indigenous rights in Australia.
The decade finishes with the opening of the musical Hair and its shocking (for the time) nudity.
60s Clothing and Costumes
You have a lot of scope with 60s – from cover-it all caftans and flower power to mini skirts – and don't forget the HAIR!
- Angels Fancy Dress – the leading fancy dress shop in the UK with costumes for every occasion. Top quality costumes, they deliver UK and international. See their 1960s costumes.
- Jokers Masquerade – A large range of high quality fancy dress costumes and accessories. Based in England with UK wide and international delivery, (excluding U.S and Canada). See their 1960s costumes.
60s Party Food
The Hippy era was noted for its vegetarianism. Conservative people, however, were having backyard BBQs in the 60s. And most of us can remember the lolly cabinet at the local shops/ These two themes are easily combined.
- Vegetarian food eg guacamole, bean dips
- BBQ food
- Tang – the space age drink!
- Make biscuits with smiley faces and peace symbols
- Granola bars
- All those sweets – Fantales, Cobbers, Musk Sticks…
60s Party Ideas
Most 60s parties give more than a nod to the Hippies, the surf culture or the Mods. If you can't decide, why not combine mix them and try not to fight?
- Decor – Flower power cut-outs, Psychedelic colour schemes, Beaded curtains. Don't forget the dance-floor. No 60s party is complete without Go-Go dancing
- Music – How can you have a 60s party without music? Choose your favourites. Karoake!
- Trivia – movie trivia, song trivia, history.
- Competitions – best costume, worst costume, name that tune!
- Themes – Protesters, Woodstock, Flower Power, Vietnam, Space Exploration, Cold War.
- Celebrities – Andy Warhol, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Brigitte Bardot, Hugh Hefner, Janis Joplin, JFK and Jackie O, Jimi Hendrix, Muhammad Ali, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Supremes, Twiggy, Yoko Ono, and the Rat Pack.
- Activities – Do some tie-dying (outside of course!). Make Daisy Chains. 60s Trivia and 60s dancing competitions.