Although St Patrick's day was originally to commemorate Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland, it has become a secular celebration of Irish culture.
Everyone must wear something green on St Patty's Day! You can either keep it simple with green ribbon, a hat or badges or check out the costume shops below to go all out as a cheeky leprechaun or lucky Irishman.
St. Patrick's Day Costumes
- Angels Fancy Dress – the leading fancy dress shop in the UK with costumes for every occasion. Top quality costumes, they deliver UK and international.
- Jokers Masquerade – A large range of high quality fancy dress costumes and accessories. Based in England with UK wide and international delivery, (excluding U.S and Canada). See their St Patricks Day costumes
St. Patrick's Party Decorations
- Party Pieces has loads of exclusive party kit bundles and great deals for customers. See their Go green for St Patricks Day decorations
Green food ideas
- Green fruit salad – cut up some green fruit and mix with a dash of fruit juice to prevent browning. Green fruit includes kiwi fruit, green apples, green grapes, honeydew melons, and starfruit.
- Make green jelly.
- Serve desserts with green custard, cream, or yoghurt dyed with green food colouring.
- Choc chip mint icecream and pistachio icecream are already green.
- Biscuits, cakes, and muffins with pistachio nuts have a green tinge.
- Green eggs and ham – add a few drops of green food colouring to scrambled eggs and mix in some diced ham.
- Snack on celery and cucumber sticks dipped in guacamole or other green dip.
- Spinach and cheese pie – if you make your own pastry you could dye that green too.
- For a side dish serve green vegetables – zucchini, asparagus, peas, green beans, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts.
- Eat green pasta – it contains spinach which adds more colour than flavour. You could serve it with some green vegetables and basil pesto.
- Drink green tea or green cordial. Put a couple of drops of green food colouring in a glass before pouring in milk and watch it magically turn from white to green. Cocktails including Creme de Menthe or Midori will be green.